Ander and I have been threatening to do it and now we are! We are starting a detox diet tomorrow. You may ask, why are you guys doing this? Well for me I want to jump start my health, get more energy, remove toxins, lose some weight and feel better. Ander pretty much has the same goals.
I am using the Ann Louise Gittleman book “The Fast Track One-day Detox Diet” as a guide. Don’t worry it is not really a one day detox because it has a 7 day prequel, the one-day cranberry special drink and water process, and then 3 day follow up.
One factor which is adding some fun and incentive is that we can now eat from our garden while supportiing our detox. We will supplement from the Enso garden and buy a few organic items like oranges, lemons, cabbage.
So anyway in case anyone wants to follow along or join in, here is what we are doing for the next 7 days:
1) eating crucifers which “enhance the process called glutathione conjugation during which the liver converts fat soluble toxins into water soluble substances that can pass out as urine”. we can chose from:
cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, broccoli, or brocoli sprouts.
2) eating green leafy veggies and herbs which are blood purifiers and natural internal deodorizers. We can chose from parsely, kale, watercress, chard, cilantro, beet greens, collards, escarole, dandelion greeens, mustard greens
3) eating citrus – orange, lemon, lime
4) eating sulfur-rich foods line garlic, onions, eggs, diakon radish which makes toxins easier to eliminate.
5) eatiing liver healers like artichoke, asparagus, beets, celery, dandelion root tea, whey, or nutritional yeast flakes.
6) eating colon-caring food like powdered psyllium husks, ground flaxseeds, carrots, apple, pear, or berries.
7) drinking a lot of water
8) eating protein (hurrah!) which activates production of enzymes to break down toxins. We choose from beef, veal, lamb, chicken, turkey, fish or blue algae or spirulina.
9) olive oil, flaxseed oil to help the colon.
Hey it doesn’t sound so bad, right? But of course it also means no coffee, black tea, sugar, alcohol, wheat and other bad stuff! We will be testing our willpower. I’ll update on our progress. And no tempting us to be bad!