You can still see The 2nd Annual Doctors Without Borders Silent Art Auction at MCoffee in Half Moon Bay until December 29 at noon. At that point the bids will close. We are at around $1,500 so far, up $500 from last years event. Even if you are not in the market for art, please go take a gander at this terrific showing of 21 local coastside artists. Most of them took on the challenge to create a new piece over 30 days which focused on the idea of a “gift of peace”. Below you will see an art sampling slide show.
And just to give you an idea of what your donation to Doctors Without Borders can buy:
- $35 buys 2 meals a day for 200 children
- $50 buys vaccinations for 50 people against meningitis, measles, polio or other deadly epidemics
- $100 buys infection-fighting antibiotics to treat nearly 40 wounded children
- $500 buys a medical kit containing basic drugs, supplies, equipment, and dressings to treat 1,500 patients for three months
- $1000 buys emergency medical supplies to aid 5,000 disaster victims for an entire month